Friday, December 31, 2010

Carrot Souffle

Cammy of The Tippy Toe Diet is hosting a virtual holiday potluck. Today is the last day to bring a dish so I am just making it in under the wire! I’m bringing my favorite holiday side dish, carrot soufflé. I’m also asking for your help…. My carrot soufflé never rises. One of my sisters said it is because the carrots are too heavy to rise. So maybe it needs a new name?

I don’t know where attribution for the recipe should go. I got it from my mother and she said she got it from her cousin, but has no idea where her cousin found it. It’s been around for at least 15 years. My apologies in advance if it is your recipe. Email me (click “contact me” on the right sidebar) and I will happily give you credit.

Ingredients:

2 cups mashed cooked carrots
¾ cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
3 eggs, beaten
Dash cinnamon
2 tbs all-purpose flour
½ c melted butter

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease 2 quart casserole dish. Combine all ingredients in order given and place in dish. Bake 1 hr. Serves 6-8.

This is a lovely, mild side dish and a nice alternative to the traditional marshmallow baked sweet potatoes. It’s not heart-healthy (the butter) but can be made with Splenda to cut back on sugar, and with the carrots it’s chock full of fiber. When I’m asked to bring a side dish to a dinner, 4 times out of 5 I will bring this. It’s always well-received… even the time I forgot the flour!

2 comments:

流浪汉 瑜伽 Yoga Tramp said...

nice blog,
thk for sharing,
happy 2011,
wish all the best to u n family.
;-)

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

Mmmm, thank you! I'm impressed that you can make a souffle! I've never even attempted one. :)

As for the rising issue, I'm pretty much clueless. I wonder if you separated the eggs and beat the whites into peaks first, before incorporating, if that would make a difference.

Thanks again for bringing a dish to the potluck!