Saturday, August 28, 2010

My Favorite Lunch Spot, French Pastries Included

Hey folks, I hope everyone is enjoying their Saturday.  It's beautiful here in KC today and I had lunch was a great friend who I don't see nearly enough.  And our lunch was at my favorite lunch spot on the planet, Andre's Tea Room, which is a part of Andre's Confiserie Suisse.  And if you are asking yourself "what is a confiserie suisse?" then I will tell you, it is a little bit of heaven right here on earth.  If you doubt me, let me just tell you that not only do they have fabulous food but they charge a flat rate for any lunch, which includes a drink and one of their French pastries.  The lunch portion sizes are reasonable so I never leave hungry, but I also never leave stuffed to the gills.  And the desserts, while amazing, are served in little ladylike-sized portions, so you can indulge and still feel virtuous.  Then, as you walk to the exit, you pass through the sales room for the sweet shop/bakery, which is full of handmade chocolates, more of the amazing pastries, and tortes and cakes too.  I keep meaning to take pictures when I have lunch there.  Next time I go I will try to remember. 

Today I had the bratwurst, and my dessert was Mocca Roulade.  The bratwurst was tender and perfectly cooked, served with dipping mustard, potato casserole, and a tossed salad.  But I asked to have their carrot salad instead of the tossed salad... I never knew I cared one bit about carrot salad until I had theirs.  And now I pout if it's not offered when I make it down there for lunch.  They must marinate the carrots in their special dressing; I am sure it has sugar in it but I'm not sure I care!  And speaking of sugar, the Mocca Roulade was mocha-y almond-y sweet goodness, and fabulous enough that I don't for one minute regret having that much sugar.  I live and work far enough away from Andre's that it is a special occasion to go there, and when I do, I have no regrets!

Where is your favorite lunch spot?  Do your city or town have a place the locals flock to and out-of-towners track down as well?

Don't forget to enter the drawing for a $60 gift card to a great online store!  Click here for the instructions.

I am not affiliated with Andre's Confiserie Suisse and was not compensated for this post.  I am merely spreading the good word about some of the amazing food in Kansas City.

No comments: