Tuesday, May 26, 2009

We're All So Pretty!

I was at a happy hour recently, a celebration for a friend and co-worker who had been promoted and would be moving to a different office. After an inconsequential, silly, pleasant conversation about three of us having green eyes, I announced “We’re all so pretty!” and waited for my companions to acknowledge this. It sounds silly, I know, and far from humble. But it is part of my plan to change the world, one moment at a time. I like to dream big!

A moment can creep up on you (okay, on me) where all I see are my imperfections, abandoned projects, and shortcomings. The trick, I think, is to accept my shortcomings as part of who I am, as things that can be changed. I am not perfect. I am a work in progress. My flaws are opportunities for growth, future steps to take as I follow the map to the better me. Each day, each moment is a chance to make a better choice, to take better care of myself, to show more love and kindness to myself and to the people around me.

No one is perfect. And so many people struggle with issues related to self-esteem and self-image, are overly critical of themselves, and have moments where they do not see the positive and the possibilities. So I put random positives out there: “We’re all so pretty!” and wait for the light bulbs to come on.

This morning my muscles are sore from yesterday's weight-lifting and I'm glad. It will remind me all day of a decision I made to improve my health. So now I’m going to finish my coffee, have a homemade fruit-smoothie, and head off to work. Have a fab day.

No comments: