Sunday, October 24, 2010

My First Gastric Mind Band Therapy Session Is This Afternoon

And I'm very excited!  I know this isn't the session where the hypnotic suggestion is given that I have the band, but I'm still excited to get things started.  I think today's session will be lots of talking about my relationship with food and evaluating my habits, weight, BMI, etc.  I got out some pictures to take to the session, pictures of me before I gained the weight.  The therapist, Julie, didn't ask me to, but I wanted to show here where I've been and what it is that I want back. 

I remember suddenly being a chubby child when I was 8 years old.  I wasn't chubby before that.  Then I struggled with my weight until my late twenties.  At that point I became involved with someone who also struggled with his weight and I followed his advice.  I ate one meal a day and walked two to three times a day.  I also did 20 to 30 minutes of situps, pushups and leg lifts a day.  The one meal a day probably wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done.  It's probably bad for your metabolism.  But I did that for almost ten years.  I lost 80 lbs that way and kept it off for several years.  Then in 2005 I had some big life changes and was on my own again.  I started gaining weight.  I became a runner somewhere along the line and after 2005 I continued to exercise but not as regularly, and I was eating several times a day.  If my food choices had been better, it would actually have been good for me to be eating more often. But my food choices were poor and I exercised less and less.  I realized the other day that I have gained almost 20 lbs a year every year since 2005.  Do the math. Yes.  Wow.  I don't run anymore because I weigh so much more that it' too hard on my body.  And I miss it.  I miss my healthy, fit, hot bod, and I miss being able to walk out the door and crank out a slow two or three miles, coming home sweaty and de-stressed.

I want it back.  I want my fitness back, I want my figure back, I feel like want my life back.  I have a good life... a wonderful partner of over four years, a job, a home, family, friends, too many pets... but I avoid anything that means going out in public because I just don't feel comfortable in my own skin.  And as I look at the last five years and see how quickly I gained so much weight, I can see why.  I'm destroying my health and limiting my life experiences by contiuing this weight gain, and it's time for it to stop.  I am thankful for what I have and looking forward to getting help with taking better care of myself.

And that is why I am so excited about today.

Have a great day, everybody.

FTC disclaimer: Since I am blogging about the experience, the service is being provided at no charge. 

For more information about Gastric Mind Band Therapy (GMBT) go to http://www.gmbandusa.com/.  My therapist for GMBT is Julie Gibson; see her website at http://www.julietherapy.com/

No comments: