Wednesday, December 16, 2009

You Get Out Of It What You Put Into It

Last Wednesday I weighed in at my weekly WW meeting and learned I had gained 0.8 lbs. Ok, I had expected it or worse… I had not journaled my food for most of the week and that is always bad news for me. This week I journaled food starting on Saturday, so I skipped Thursday and Friday (my WW weeks run from Thursday to Wednesday, and I weigh-in on Wednesday nights). And I lost 0.8 lbs, so am happily back where I started, at a net loss of 10 lbs after 5 weeks on Weight Watchers.

Our topic at this week’s meeting was how to persevere; fighting the snowball effect. It addressed how we all fall off the path sometimes, but it is what happens next that is important. Do we throw in the towel for the day or until “after the weekend,” or until our next meeting? Does that turn into more and more time, until we have lost all the progress we have made? Or do we turn things around at our next meal, or even better, immediately?

As we discussed the events involved in the snowball effect and how to keep it from turning into a landslide of poor decisions and weight gain, the meeting leader said something that described exactly what my problem has been the last 2 weeks: you get out of it what you put into it. If you sorta work the program, you sorta get results.

I tracked food a little more than half of the last two weeks. I went to the gym three times last week (yay me!) but that was not enough to compensate for poor food choices. I have been half-assing the program and getting half-ass results. Duh.

So I start over right now: planning ahead, journaling my food and making good decisions. Who knows, maybe I’ll even go to the gym again.

1 comment:

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

How wonderful is it that you caught yourself playing "half-way" with a small gain? I don't know about you, but in the past, I would've gained the whole 10 pounds back (and possibly a few more), before just giving up the program as something that "just didn't work for me."

But YOU didn't do that! Kudos!