Saturday, March 13, 2010

Day Three of No Frapps, and a Fabulous Shrimp Dish

Wahoo!  Totally surviving frapp-free. Who knew?

I really wish I had taken pictures when I made dinner last night.  It was amazing!  I still have garlic breath from it, yikes.

I used a recipe from the Weight Watchers website for the shrimp, and served it over a side I created: 1 can black beans, 1 cup cooked quinoa, and enough coconut butter to flavor it.  I added some water so I could leave it alone heating on the stove and it wouldn't burn while I cooked the shrimp.

The shrimp was fab!  I started with 1 cup veggie broth from my last homemade batch; I found it in the freezer where it was just hanging out and waiting for something to do.  Added 4 garlic cloves, chopped.  And by chopped I mean I used the garlic press because I'm lazy.  I let that simmer while I chopped 1/4 cup cilantro leaves and set them aside.  When the broth/garlic combo was reduced by half I added 2 tablespoons of lime juice and let it simmer a few more minutes.  Then I added a pound of shrimp and 1 tablespoon of butter.  The recipe called for raw shrimp but I used pre-cooked.  I'd tried to defrost it before I made dinner but they were still kinda frozen, so I covered the pot and let the whole schamole simmer until they were defrosted and completely heated through.  Then I stirred in the cilantro and let it cook 2 or 3 more minutes.  You're supposed to season with salt and pepper at that point but of course I forgot.  No biggie, seasoning it once it was plated was sufficient.

Then I built the dish:  first, a cushy bed of coconut-flavored quinoa and black beans, topped with a quarter of the shrimp (FOUR  points for all that shrimp, awesome!), a few tablespoons of the sauce, and then because I can never resist a little heat, I swirled some garlic-chili paste on top.

Again, I so wish I had taken pictures.  Words don't do it justice.  Easy peasy to prepare, and the lime, garlic and coconut butter went together like they were made for each  other.  I think without the coconut butter it would have been missing something.  The coconut flavor wasn't prominent; it was in the background, giving more presence to the other flavors and everything went perfectly with the shrimp.  Next time I will be sure to snap a photo; a food post with no pics seems ridiculous but I just had to tell you about it. 

4 comments:

JourneyBeyondSurvival said...

You are incredibly good at writing about food. I'm wiping off drool. Seriously.

Agnes said...

Oh Liz, you're making me hungry.

Anonymous Fat Girl said...

I'm hungry too... minus the shrimp though! I just can't eat shrimp. LOL

The Chubby Girl Diaries said...

That sounds so good! Now i'm getting hungry! I'm rethinking a taco dinner and now thinking of making steak and shrimp! Yum!

Next time definitely take pics! You are always cooking up something fabulous! :)

~Kellie