Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Roasted Brussel Sprouts

Brussel sprout haters beware, this may turn you.  It's pretty simple.  Your ingredients are brussel sprouts, olive oil, salt and pepper.


Clean the sprouts by cutting off the stems, removing the outer leaves and rinsing them.





Toss them with olive oil, salt and pepper.  I like to use parchment paper when I'm roasting vegetables, instead of using non-stick spray on the bakeware.  Makes cleanup easier.


Bake at 450.  I checked them after about 20 minutes and then every 10 minutes until they were nice and brown.  I think it took about 45 minutes, total.


Roasting brings out the natural sweetness in vegetables.  The sprouts were mild, without the pungency that many cooking methods leave them with.  And their shape makes them fun for snacking; I popped a few in my mouth as I plated dinner.


I'm pretty much sold on roasting veggies; it's simple and yields consistently good results.

8 comments:

Agnes said...

I am not a fan, but my husband LOVES brussel sprouts!

Corletta said...

Ok...I am going to try brussel sprouts for the 2nd time. I am hoping for a better result than the first. Thanks for the recipe!

Tiff said...

You may have convinced me to try them for the 2nd time as well, the first round didn't go so well but your pics just look too yummy to pass up!

liz said...

i liked the teeniest ones the best. maybe because they were the cutest.

Haddock said...

The finished product looks really great.

Anonymous Fat Girl said...

Mmmmmm!!! Roasted brussel sprouts never looked so good!

Lindsay said...

I don't dare try them! But you may have changed me to dare to! Those look yummy!

MCM Mama said...

I love Brussel sprouts! My husband hates the smell though, so I have to totally air out the house if I eat them for lunch LOL.