Sunday, February 14, 2010

Veggie Crazy!

I went to the grocery store this morning and came home with two new vegetables to try: fresh beets, and kale.  I'll post when I use them.  I'm thinking I'll roast the beets with some parsnips and sweet potatoes; ever since the Winter Vegetable Extravaganza, parsnips have become a staple in my house, right after carrots on the grocery list.  And I'm planning to make kale chips, where you toss them with olive oil and seasonings and bake them.  Or maybe add the kale to a bean dip, with garbanzo beans or cannolini.  Kale's supposed to be good in soup, too, but I have not been the soup-making-freak this winter that I usually am in cold weather.

Here are the two new produce experiments.  The paper towell is to keep the beets, on the right, from staining the counter.


Check this site out: 365 Days of Kale.  I found it on Green Lite Bites in a post Roni wrote about kale.  Lots of info about my new veggie!

I also bought cabbage, celery, carrot chips and cilantro.  And some things that didn't start with "C", too.

7 comments:

Agnes said...

You're so creative :-)

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

Oooh, the kale chips are on my to-make list. Let us know how you like them!

I tried roasted parsnips, and I didn't hate them, but I don't think I'll be buying them again anytime soon. :)

liz said...

@agnes, i love messing around in the kitchen. probably would have more successes if i didn't have an aversion to recipes!

@cammy, i hear ya, some things just don't speak to you. for me, it's green beans. gag :)

JourneyBeyondSurvival said...

I love Kale. Though it's been a long time for it to earn my love.

My Hubbend is Southern. They prepare it similar to spinach. I tear it up like I'm washing lettuce for a salad, removing the big spines. Then I wash and spin it while I'm boiling water. I add a teaspoon of olive oil to the water, and a pinch of salt.

Then we drain and eat!

But, we have a special vinegar that we make from apple cider vinegar poured into a bottle stuffed with dried little chiles. We let it sit for a week and then pour it over cooked greens. YUM.

liz said...

@journey, i would be very interested in that vinegar recipe, do you share it?

Anonymous Fat Girl said...

The kale chips are on my to make list too. I don't know about the beats though... I just can't do that. LOL

liz said...

@afg greenlitebites.com made the kale chips yesterday and posted a video, they look super easy. beets are supposed to be yummy! naturally sweet. i'll let you know, i hope i like them, but i don't expect to convert you ;)